AR is a computer program that helps teachers and librarians manage and monitor children’s independent reading practice.
1) Your child picks a book at his/her own level and reads it at his/her own pace.
2) When finished, your child takes a short quiz on the computer - passing the quiz is an indication that your child has understood what has been read.
3) AR gives both children and teachers instant feedback based on the quiz results which the teacher then uses to help the child set targets and ongoing reading practice.
Children using AR have a free choice of the books they read, rather than having one assigned to them. This makes reading a much more enjoyable experience as they feel in control and can choose books that are interesting to them. Teachers and librarians will help your child choose books that are at an appropriate reading level. These will be challenging without being frustrating and will also be at a level at which your child can pass the quiz and experience success.
How much will my child read during the day?
According to Renaissance Learning’s research, children who read at least 20 minutes a day with a 90% comprehension rate on AR quizzes see the greatest gains. Therefore, your child should have at least 20 minutes set aside for reading during each day.
How can I help my child become a better reader?
As with anything, performance improves with practice. Encourage your child to read at home. Create a culture of reading in your household by reading with your child, starting a home library, visiting your local library or bookshop on a regular basis and by letting your child see you reading. When reading with your child stop and ask questions to be sure your child comprehends what they have read and in general make a habit of discussing books that each of you has read.
You can find out whether books your child has at home are compatible with Accelerated Reader by using this website. Click here.
- Behaviour and Attitudes Ready Respectful Safe
- Curriculum Overview
- Effective Learning
- Faculty and Subject Information
- Knowledge Organisers
- Sports Leaders
- Student Council